Thursday, May 10, 2012

Ravines Wine Cellars 2006 Cabernet Franc (New York)

"I drink alone ... oh ya, with nobody else ..."

Tonight I am reminded of that George Thorogood song, "I drink alone", because the wife has a touch of that stomach flu that is going around and went to bed early ... I decided to come down to the basement and do some work - and open a bottle of wine.  This is a bottle I bought from a very serious wine producer in the Finger Lakes, Ravines.  Usually when you go to the Lakes you get a lot of sweet whites and crazy named sweet reds, but the guy at Ravines, Morten Hallgren, is making serious wines, I recommend swinging by if they haven't corrupted him into making the sweet stuff already.  This wine obviously has a little age on it, but is still drinking quite well.  The color is almost a deep rosé or maybe more along the lines of a Pinot Noir.  The nose has strawberry, raspberry and smoky notes, it also seems to be opening up quite nicely the longer it sits in glass.  The palate follows along the Pinot analogy with it's cranberry, raspberry and smoky qualities with hints of spice and really good acidity, which runs clean through the mouth.  There was a drawback at first, as the resulting linger of the wine on the tongue seemed to possess a little dirty dishrag quality ... but now, half an hour in, this wine seems to linger with a little strawberry and wood smoke ... good job Morten, you've made a might fine wine.  Now if you'll excuse me I must get back to work ...

"... and when I drink alone I prefer to be by myself."


No comments: