Friday, January 3, 2014

Kim Crawford 2013 Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand)

Tonight I'm trying out a new recipe for shrimp scampi and the directions call for half a cup of white wine ... I put some thought into it and decide to go for this (reportedly) fruity Kim Crawford Sauv Blanc ... the nice part about opening a wine for a recipe is that you get to finish the bottle and that's precisely what we did.  In truth I have never been a huge fan of Crawford's Savvy B, I have found it serviceable and rather typical but never anything to write home about - but the hype surrounding the 2013 vintage for Sauvignon Blanc in New Zealand peaked my interested and I decided that I could sacrifice a half cup to get to the bottom of this bottle.  I can honestly say, for the first time ever, I am thrilled with a Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc.  The nose is an absolute beauty with lovely and alluring melon and tangerine notes; the palate seems to follow along nicely with what the nose has offered up, while adding grapefruit cocktail and a nice medium length finish.  The acidity isn't in your face it's there to keep all that fruit in check and to keep it from becoming something Del-Monte would call "in light syrup".  If you can put your hands on a few bottles of this 2013 version I would suggest doing so and saving them up for summer.


No comments: