Thursday, February 6, 2014

Marisco 2010 Pinot Noir (New Zealand)

I have had a few Marisco wines in my day and I would have to say I am a big fan of this New Zealand winery, there are very few of their wines I wouldn't want in my cellar.  One year a mistake was made in pricing and I was fully ready to take advantage of it, but the agent never got in touch ... for the agent's sake it's good that my memory sucks when it comes to stuff like that; on the other hand, when it comes to wine I don't forget the good stuff.  This Marisco Pinot hit all the right notes both on the nose and on the palate and showed the right amount of complexity and drinkability on all levels.  Aromas of violets, cranberry, and black cherry opened the door to flavours of black raspberry-cranberry, with some light plum character and lovely spice.  The nose's subtle perfume notes also made for a real pleasant drinking experience.  What really stood out was the hints of cherry mid to finish which made this a beauty of a sipping Pinot, but with the acidity it was also good with the salmon dinner ... who says red doesn't go with fish. 



No comments: