Saturday, October 3, 2009

Marchesi de Frescobaldi 2000 Remole (Italy)

Another Italian wine takes center stage in my house tonight - as it did last night - and another oldie, but this time it comes from the Tuscany region.

This morning I found myself reorganizing my wine cellar and I came across this bottle, a blend of Sangiovese and "una piccola quantita di Cabernet", now my Italian is a little rusty (more lie non-existant), but I am going to assume that says a little bit of Cabernet. Once again we're not dealing with a fresh fruity wine here. First there's the colour, which had brownish brick tones. The smells were of dried fruit, forest floor, some prunes, and licorice - really not all that appealing if you think about it; but on the palate it proved to be much more inviting: dried leaves, sweetish dried fruits (like a handful of dried cran and other berries), licorice and a hint of dried spices from the oak ... quite lovely indeed, and a pleasure to drink, especially after a little decanting.

No comments: