Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Boutari 2000 Naoussa (Greece)

Marinated some chicken in a "Greek" marinade and thought it only right to raid my wine cellar of something from Greece ... Turns out I am not a big Greek wine collector - I have some bottles of Mavrodaphne de Patras, some Assyrtiko and some Agiorgitko, and a bottle or two of Xinomavro and that's about it.  So it didn't take me long to settle on this 12 year old bottle of Boutari.  Now according to my records I paid a paltry $9.10 for this bottle - which now seems like a steal.  The colour of the wine was an orangy-brown; I usually don't take note of the colour unless it is unusual, not that a 12 year old wine being orangy-brown is unusual, but it was interesting to note.  The nose had lots of dried fruit and crunchy leaves smells - there was nothing fresh about the aromas, but it wasn't off-putting either - put it this way: I wasn't afraid to try it.  The taste was of real interest and it kept changing through the night, but in a good way.  Started off as forest floor with pencil lead notes, then dried cherry and dried blackberry took over followed by black currant and dried raspberry fruit leather ... the wine seems to have retained some great acidity with a touch of dried herbs on the finish ... a couple hours later there seemed to be some wood kicking around that wasn't there before.  All in all a pretty good find for under $10, and to hold it this long and still be able to drink it with pleasure I can't complain one bit.


No comments: