Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Silver Ridge 2000 Cabernet Sauvignon (California)

I find myself delving deeper into my cellar these days looking at all the old wines and wondering if now is the time to be drinking some of them.  According to the vintage chart I have hanging in the cellar the 2000 California cabs should be drinking quite well now, though I have to admit I did not consult it till after I had picked out the bottle.  This is one of these wines that I happen to have in my cellar, I know that I must have bought it sometime in the past but have no recollection as to why or what prompted me to pick it up and lay it down ... My only answer might be the price was right and I forgot about it.  But I am glad I found it tonight as it was just what the doctor ordered.  I did not want anything too heavy and this fit the bill.  With 12 years from vintage date the wine was first and foremost smooth and easy drinking - it had some forest-floorish aromas along with herbal notes and some beet root nuances.  On the palate it proved interesting with a dried fruit sweetness and a finish that was dried cherry in nature.  I would say this wine held up quite nicely.


No comments: