Saturday, December 22, 2012

Primal Roots 2011 Red Blend (California)

I find myself in Michigan for the holidays (and for all those who know the story - yes I have a proper glass to drink my wine from).  Tonight a bottle of Primal Roots 2011 Red Blend, which I picked up and was recommended to me by my good friend Dave at Champane Wine Cellars ... quick plug: if you have never been and plan to be in Warren, Michigan or anywhere close I suggest you pop in (it's on Chicago Road) - love their wine selection, their pricing and yes, Dave always has a good bottle or two to recommend; today he recommended 8 and I am looking forward to trying them all (over time).  But back to the wine at hand (or is that 'in hand'):  Primal Roots is a blend of Merlot, Syrah and Zinfandel, reminds me somewhat of Menage a Trois - but seems a little more serious ... by just a little.  Sealed with a plastic cork this wine is not meant to age, so be warned, but it is a a delightful sipper on a snowy-wintery night (as it is here in Michigan).  Chocolate, mocha, black cherry and hints of vanilla and plum all meld together.  The bottle was only $8.99 and drinks like a wine at least double that.  Now it's time to get back to my book, blanket and of course my proper glass of wine.

To read more from the Grape Guy, Michael Pinkus, visit his website:
For more reviews and insight into the world of Ontario wine and beyond.

No comments: