Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ironstone Vineyards 2007 Old Vines Zinfandel (California)

As a Zinfandel fan I except something when I see "Old Vines" splashed across the label - not sure why, there is not definition of what is considered "old vines", just like there are few definitions in the new world as to what dictates "reserve". I found this wine to be just okay, not as delicious as I have had in past vintages of this same wine from the same producer; I'll chalk it up to it being a tad too young still: peppery and plumy were the main tastes and smells in this wine - but it lacked the intensity, the fruit forwardness and the chocolate-cherry-rum nuances. I would give it a few more years to mellow before I would open a bottle again - one of these days soon I will have to open the 2005 and see how that one's coming along.

No comments: