Monday, August 24, 2009

Thornhaven Estates 2007 Gewurztraminer (British Columbia)

It was the day after the Wine Writers trip to the County, I found myself in David Lawrason's backyard waiting for my train back to Toronto ... must have been 28 degrees out with just the slightest of breeze, I sat under the trellis listening to the leaves above rustling; it was a beautiful summer afternoon. Anyone who knows me knows that when I travel I take two things with me: wine and glassware (which is why I find it hard to pack light) - this wine was one of those packed wine, and because I had a good 5 hours to kill before my departure I popped this into David's fridge and waited for it to chill. When all had assembled, we had been waiting for others to join us for dinner, I pulled this wine out of the fridge and served it; what a treat. The fruit on the nose was pineapple, lychee and rosewater scented, the palate seemed to follow the nose while adding its own certain charm like spiced pineapple and extra juicy lychee fruit - it was just what you would have wanted to sip on a hot summer afternoon, good thing we finally had one. The capper to this wine was the long, spicy, rose petal finish - soft and easy. Thanks to David for allowing me to sip this in his backyard and helping me lighten my wine load for the ride home.

No comments: