Monday, June 3, 2013

Montes 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon, Oak Aged (Chile)

It's Montes week here at Casa de Pinkus ... yesterday I opened a bottle of 2006 Limited Selection Red Blend ... tonight I went for the single variety: Cabernet Sauvignon, but this time I've gone back 2 more years, to 2004.  I opened this bottle a little early because tonight's dinner is cedar plant salmon Provencale, and as much as I am into trying different wines with different kinds of food, the Cab Sauv / Salmon pairing is not one that (from my experience) works very well.  So I will have a glass now and maybe one after I finish dinner ... though as a glutton for punishment I will most likely still try it with the fish.  Tonight's wine is hugely better than last night's so-so affair ... this 2004 still has weight and structure, the tannins aren't big in-your-face bruisers and the oak is well-balanced and delicate on the tongue.  There's an an element of fruit that still seems lively and vibrant right down the heart of this wine.  Sure there's a touch of dried fruit here but it is counter-balanced with a nice baker's cocoa that comes through, and while the tannins are most definitely present they do not interfere with what the cocoa and the fruit have going on ... in fact it seems to add just the right amount of a drying effect along with a lovely smokiness to make me want to take sip after sip after sip - and the finish lingers with a delicacy that seems to say "take another sip, I won't disappoint."  This bottle shows an elegance and finesse that last night's bottle could only dream about ... and it's 2 years older.  This is one you could still hold a few more years, but it's drinking very well right now.


No comments: