Sunday, August 25, 2013

La Crema 2006 Sonoma Pinot and Tarapaca 2006 Carmenere (California / Chile)

Today I attended a BBQ with some fellow wine writers and if you think you have trouble deciding what to bring to a BBQ imagine if where you were going was filled with wine critics ... so instead of looking to impress I went with a couple of bottles I wanted to try myself (which is good advice anytime), and if they turn out to be impressive it's a double bonus.  I started off by popping the cork on a bottle of La Crema 2006 Sonoma Pinot Noir, I had put a bit of a chill on it and wanted to see if 7 years has made the difference.  Last time I had this wine was three years ago duing an American Thanksgiving celebration, and I thought the fruit was beginning to fade even then. This time out I picked up some nice cran-cherry and violets on the nose, definitely an improvement from last opening.  The acidity was pretty good, there was also white pepper and some sour cherry ... not the best version of this wine I have had but it was drinkable.  Some writers thought it a little green.  The other wine was one I enjoyed myself (meaning I did not see anybody else pour themselves a glass) and that was the Tarapaca 2006 Reserva Carmenere.  Say what you want about Carmenere, but well made versions are worth there weight in gold, I found this version to be lively and juicy and still vibrant even at 7 years of age.  I remember buying a bunch of this particular year because it was one of the best I had tasted in quite some time and it still delivers:  minty blackberry and lovely cassis - I think it still has life left in the bottle.


No comments: