Monday, September 1, 2008

Concha Y Toro 2001 Casillero del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon (Chile)


Sometimes I have no idea what goes through my head as I put a bottle I have never tried down to age ... on the other hand it is kind of fun to lose track of a few bottles just to see how they will age. I opened this bottle of 7 year old Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile with full confidence that it would either 1) over the hill or 2) on its way down the hill ... what could you expect from a $9.95 wine. Surprisingly a whole lot. I find I am having some good luck with my lay down the past few weeks (though I have little to no faith in the bottle of Concha Y Toro Sunrise Cabernet Sauvignon 2000 - I see I have still inhabiting my cellar - how's about we check that one our tomorrow?!?) But back to the Casillero del Diablo ... I was surprised at how well this wine has stood up. The fruit was still very much intact with lots of dark fruit, blueberry and dark chocolate, there was also a bit of oak flavouring especially on the finish. Jeepers creepers was that a nice wine - sad to say I only bought the one bottle.

1 comment:

Silas said...

It's now fall 2009,and i've just enjoyed a 2001 Concha y Toro Casillero del Diablo. The extra year has done nothing to tarnish this great bottle. Unlike you, I am glad to have purchased the case!