Saturday, September 13, 2008

Tamaya 2005 Merlot-Cabernet Sauvignon-Syrah Reserve (Chile)

It's not often that a bottle of wine that I buy gets consumed just hours after purchase, but when I buy a number of bottles of the same wine I wanna make sure that my recollection of the wine is valid - especially if I tasted a few months prior. That's what happened with this Tamaya blend. I liked it for my Vintages Report (September 13, 2008) but wondered if I would still enjoy it - and especially for it's price ($12.95) - was I just blinded by such a good price on that day? So I bought a bunch on my own recommendation and I thought it best I try it to see if I know what the heck I was talking about. Well I am thrilled to report I was dead on. With smells of blackberries and blueberries, spices and plenty of other fun for your nasal receptors, this wine totally delivers ... on the palate as well; lots of dark fruit, some oak, spices, good finish with enough longevity to remind you it was there ... decanting helped smooth it out a little as the tannins were a little rough around the edges at this point in its lifespan, but I see this wine having 5-7 years of staying power (easily) and getting better with age. This is what Chilean wine is all about: good, cheap and tasty ... excuse me, inexpensive.

No comments: