Thursday, June 25, 2009

Brys Estate Vineyard and Winery 2008 Pinot Blanc (Michigan)

Another of my Michigan finds. Pinot Blanc was not a grape I expected to find in any abundance in northern Michigan, in fact I'll admit I had no idea I would find any at all. What I actually found were 4 wineries making wine from this grape, and I bought bottles from three of them. This is all esate grown fruit at Brys, which is located on the Old Mission Peninsule, about two-thirds of the way up from Traverse City. Today I sat out with my fiancee (who came with me on the journey, but because of an ill-timed sore throat, missed out on a few of the wineries) in 94 degree (~32 Celsius) heat and we sipped on this bottle. This wine has a beautifully inviting nose with peach, pear and delicious apple all mingling together. On the palate it was very dry, with crisp pear, a touch of lemon, nice acidity and a lengthy aftertaste that reminded me a green apple with a splash of lemon. Tonight we decided on a Panko bread crumbed Talapia for dinner and saved the second half of the bottle for dinner ... and just as we thought, the wine went perfectly well with the light fish, and Erica (fiancee) even finished her second glass, which is a rarity for her. Can't wait to break into our our other Pinot Blancs from this area.

No comments: