Thursday, August 16, 2012

Maycas del Limari 2008 Reserva Especial Syrah (Chile)

Back in October of 2011 I got a taste of the great Maycas wines line-up, I was super impressed by the 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon and the 2009 Syrah - which I assumed was the current release of both wines.  So how in the heck did the LCBO (Ontario's liquor monopoly) get their hands on the 2008 Syrah and, even more head scratchingly, finally get it to market in June of 2012 ... Not that the wine suffered from the ageing but I still would have liked to put my hands on the wine I tried (maybe they'll release that one in 2014).  As for this 2008 version, I was still impressed, just not as impressed as the '09 - which, if you can find some in your area, is a fantastic wine and I recommend it highly.  The 2008 Syrah starts off as a very violet wine, both on the nose and in colour, it has aromas of blackberry, black pepper, cassis and black cherry along with hints of smoked meat lingering in the background.  The taste is peppery, smoky and spicy, reminding one of roasted game, yes there's dark fruit in there but all paired with those peppery/spicy attributes: peppered-cassis in the mid-palate with a smoked raspberry finish.  I would give this one a four+ if I were rating it, just below the 2009 ... but neither wine disappoints on any level.


No comments: