Thursday, November 1, 2012

Shalestone NV Red Legend (New York)

As my day ended I decided to walk into the cellar and grab the first bottle I saw ... it just so happened to be this very lost bottle of Shalestone Red Legend that I uncovered over the last few days by moving bottles around.  I have no idea how long I've had it or when I bought it, but it has to be a few years anyway cause I haven't been to the Finger Lakes region in at least 3-4 years; and I had to have bought it there because we don't see that much New York wine up here in Ontario (even though we are neighbours - scratch head here).  Red Legend, according to the website, is a blend of Cabernet Franc, Lemberger, Syrah and Pinot Noir - an odd combination, but what the heck.  The wine is a rather simplistic blend on the palate and the nose with an element of sweetness ... but I found out within half an hour that I had kept this too long (it was never meant to age in the first place), it began to oxidize and become real off-putting.  But in that first 30 minutes it wasn't bad at all.


No comments: