Saturday, October 4, 2008

La Frenz 2007 Chardonnay (British Columbia)

Those who know me, know my tastes are not Chardonnay-leaning - I joined the ABC movement (Anything But Chardonnay) a long time ago. Tired of the overly extracted, overly wood influenced, chewing on a stave appeal of Chardonnay. So for a Chard to impress me is truly a feat. I tried this wine during my BC excursion just this past summer (July - August) and just had to take one of these wines home (risking reprisal fro the government and the LCBO). The nose is just so inviting; even now, a couple of months later, and away from the beautiful scenery of the mountains and the lake I still can picture them as I sip this wine. Some folks say, and I tend to agree with them, that the place and time make the wine - and while that might have been true with many of the Okanagan wines I tried this one transformed an Ontario night into a day in the Okanagan. When I visited La Frenz for the first time it was rainy and grey and yet this tropical fruit layered beauty cracked through all that and made you believe it was just you and the wine ... I was there again with each sniff and each taste. Now I will admit I served this wine with an inappropriate meal - Panzerottis - it did not go with the rich tomoato sauce and melted cheese, and surely did not compliment the pepperoni; but in truth both were tasty (the wine and the panzerotti) and sepearately they were delicious. But that transportation factor took hold after the meal and took me back to the deck overlooking the vineyards of the Okanagan. This wine is simply super - enough said.

No comments: