Monday, October 13, 2008

Robert Mondavi 2001 Private Selection Cabernet Sauvignon (California)

With my family out of town on Thanksgiving, a buddy of mine invited me to his family's Thanksgiving dinner taking place at his parents' condo. Feeling the need for turkey, stuffing and all the fixins I accepted. Before going I combed through my wine rack for an appropriate bottle to bring ... and I found it. His mother and I used to exchange Christmas gifts: I would give her a mouth-blown glass ornament for her tree, she would give me a bottle of wine for my collection. Back in 2003 she gave me a bottle of Robert Mondavi 2001 Private Selection Cabernet Sauvignon, it seemed like the right time to share this bottle, especially considering it would be with the original giver.

The evening started with a Mondavi Woodbridge 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon, with its juicy blackberries on both the nose and taste. We then moved on to the 2006 Lindemans Pinot Noir from Australia - a more than acceptable red, though it lacked much of what I would call Pinot Noir characteristics, save for the raspberry, which seemed to be the most prevalent smell and taste in the glass.

Finally, it was time to open the time capsule. Smells of dried fruit and herbs greeted the nose; about fifteen minutes later dried leaves/vegetation/damp forest floor was more than just a little apparent ... the tastes were also changing rapidly: sour cherry, dried fruit and a touch of tannin turned to distinctive dried cranberries and dried cherries with an evolving smoothness that told me it was fading fast. Given another year or two and this wine would have been on the decline, as it was, it was just cresting the hill and starting it slow decent, I'm glad we caught it when we did. Tonight I gave thanks for the wine and the company. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

No comments: