Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Vitkin Winery 2005 Carignan (Israel)

I remember recommending this wine to people a year or so ago as one of the best value wines to come out of Israel in a long time (and into the LCBO system - Vintages to be exact); and now that it has some age on it I'm starting to realize my own brilliance (how do you like that back patting - think I actually hurt my arm doing that one). The colour is like Smoke on the Water, deep purple (I'll wait for those who have no idea what I am talking about to check with their local classic rock station, and that's the only hint I'm giving you). The smells are very inviting and plentiful, with blackberry, cassis, plum, vanilla, cinnamon, spicy-tobacco, new leather and, of all things in a kosher wine, Christmas spice. The palate is just as wonderful and complex showing big black fruit that is just so juicy in the mouth, though still with big tannins, and a nice peppery-spicy finish. This one still has lots of time to go so if you've got any, enjoy it at your leisure.

No comments: