Friday, July 31, 2009

Domaine de Grand Retour 2007 Plan de Dieu (France)

Back in April, I went to a French wine tasting for wineries without representation here in Ontario. There I discovered a little known appellation called Plan de Dieu (plan of God), which is part of the Rhone region and, from what I understand, just outside of Chateauneuf-du-Pape. The guy explained that the wines coming from this little place were as good or better then the ones in Chateauneuf, but because it was unknown the wines could be had at bargain basement prices - to me it sounded like a sales pitch until I tried the wines ... they were downright delicious. On August 1st, 2009 at your local LCBO (here in Ontario) in the Vintages section - you will find a wine from this little place, that is an absolute bargain (and would be at twice the price). The nose is sweet with herbs and blackberries along with lots of red fruit, cherry and hints of sweet licorice. The palate delivers as well; very smooth with lots of black fruit, some cherry, a touch of chocolate along with a red licorice finish that is backed up by some lovely tannins. All this for the low, low price of $11.95 - trust me in Ontario that's a deal-and-a-half for a wine of this quality. When I was leaving the LCBO, after my purchase of 4 bottles, I saw a sign on a Chilean wine that said "run, don't walk to pick up a case of this (the Chilean wine)" - that wine was $14.95 ... if that is what you are to do with the Chilean wine - then I would suggest sprinting to your local LCBO first thing Saturday morning to grab a case (or more) of this one.


No comments: