Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Geyser Peak Winery 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon - Alexander Valley (California)

I have been a fan of Geyser Peak wines for awhile, but rarely have I tried one this old. Now I hear you saying, 6 years isn't that old, but for a drink-now style of wine (which this is) it just might be. When I first pulled the cork I caught the smell of something funky - not good, not bad, just funky. When poured into the glass the wine seemed stale and musty, I thought maybe it was corked, but I know from experience that cork taint does not blow off, it gets worse the more air that gets into the wine, so I waited. About a half hour later the wine seemed to come around, and within an hour it was downright delicious. Juicy blackberry, dry cocoa like tannins and flavours, nothing overpowering here, just nice and pleasant with a medium length black currant finish.

No comments: