Sunday, July 19, 2009

Nine North Wine Co. 2006 Rock & Vine Three Ranches Cabernet Sauvignon (California)

The night started early with a mid-afternoon bottle of Chateau des Charmes 2007 Estate Chardonnay, if you have not tried this wine you owe it to yourself to find some and drink it. As many of you might know, I am not a huge Chardonnay fan - I am part of the ABC club (Anything But Chardonnay), but this 5-star wine will show you what good Chardonnay is about (I should get the Chateau to put some away for my upcoming nuptials cause it'll be even better a year from now, but I'm off topic ...) ... I'll leave it at that for now and let you click through to the review if you want. Right now, I am going to focus on what came next: Rock & Vine Cabernet Sauvignon. In the trditional sense of the word this is a Meritage or Bordeaux blend, having all five of the grapes in it (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot) - but because there is 79% Cab Sauv in mix they can call it by it's single varietal name. This is actually a very simple wine that over-delivers for its price point (I bought it for $11.99 in Michigan). Lots of blackberries, chocolate, herbs and violtes on the nose with the same stuff showing up in the mouth - full on fruit. The wine is incredibly smooth and very tasty and went perfectly with the BBQed beef ribs that were also enjoy this evening.

No comments: