Thursday, July 2, 2009

Fitz NV Riesling Sekt Extra Trocken (Germany)

An afternoon up north with family and friends should always start with a little bubbly. I find myself slightly south of North Bay on an island getaway and the soon to happen 2nd Annual Pine Island wine tasting party extravaganza. We arrive a little early to get the full island experience and I figure, as a guest, it is my responsibility to supply the wine (or some of it anyway) – especially if you want to drink what you like. My first selection was served after a light lunch of cold cuts and cold salads. This Riesling Sekt (Sparkling wine from Germany) has been in my possession for a little over a year now, and other than that knowledge I have no idea of its true age. The nose is slightly yeasty with petrol and mac apple nuances. The palate followed suit with a green apple finish a nice hit of acidity and a long petrol-apple follow thru.

Other wine opened today: Nyarai Cellars 2008 Sauvignon Blanc, Hillebrand 2006 White and Lailey Vineyard 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon.

No comments: