Sunday, June 20, 2010

Three Whites ... Two for the Dogs (Ontario)

Ever have one of those nights where you think "it's not my night"?  This was that night.  I started by putting a bottle of 2004 Pelee Island Late Autumn Riesling in the fridge - a few hours later, before I started making dinner, I popped the cork on this wine and ... that smell was unmistakable, cork.  'Too bad,' I thought to myself, 'it happens, I know I have a back up bottle in here somewhere just for such an occasion.  So into the fridge I go and ... Ah yes, a bottle of Calamus 2006 White.  It's under screwcap so I should have no problems with the wine being corked.  I twist the cap and the signature crack-of-the-cap is nowhere to be heard.  I pour the wine into my glass and, yup, Houston, we have a problem, oxidized.  I inspect the bottle a little more carefully and see that indeed it was a full bottle and not one I had previously opened and forgot about.  Thank goodness for chicken and risotto, they take some time to prepare and cook, so I ran down into the basement and grabbed a bottle of Huff 2006 Riesling Reserve - Wismer Vineyard (I was determined to go Ontario tonight, even if it kills me), plus two other bottles (just in case).  Two bottles went into the fridge, the Huff saw the freezer for twenty minutes.  Success, this wine hit the spot (and was not faulted in any way).  Dry and delicious - some apple notes but mostly lime with the merest hint of petrol starting to slide in, there was also some very good acidity.

No comments: