Saturday, January 19, 2013

Two South American Bottles 2003 & 2010 (Argentina / Chile)

Dined on prime rib Saturday night, and I was in charge of the wine ... hate to say it, it was never actually said that I was in charge but I put myself in that position.  I pulled out two very different bottles one from Chile the other from Argentina ... one brand new (2010) the other nine years old (2003).  Started with the older wine: Clos de los Siete 2003 from Argentina, a wine that proudly states on the front label Michel Rolland's name.Turns out about 6 months ago I opened a bottle of the 2006 version of this wine and thought out loud in that post about what the 2003 would taste like.  As it turns out the 2003 was not as exciting as the 2006 but was still a decent wine.  Earthy nose was the mainstay of aromas, while the palate was dried of fruit with earthiness mixed in - the wine had definitely crested the hill and was on its way down the other side; but I still had a glass and a half to see how it progressed over the course of an hour or so - it never got better, but it didn't get worse either, so that was a plus in its favour.  The second bottle was the one I popped the cork on for dinner:  Valdivieso 2010 Single Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon (Santa Cruz) - now this was typically Chilean, but typical in a good way: the wine was laced with mint chocolate, dark berries and a luscious mouthfeel.  Two wines with very different stories to tell and both told them in their own way, and I was glad to be there to listen (so to speak).


No comments: