Thursday, March 26, 2009

Les Vignobles Assemat 2007 Castel Oualou (Rhone - France)

Light in colour like a Beaujolais or Pinot Noir (from a hot year), a nose bursting with cherry fruit, raspberries, strawberries and a touch of white pepper (not to much). The palate screams juicy red fruits, more cherry, touch of strawberry, hint of cinnamon ... but there is mostly just miles and miles of juicy cherries here. This is not a complex wine by any stretch of the imagination. Its made with Grenache, Syrah, Cinsault and Mourvedre grapes (according to the back label) - it lacks the dark colour I was expecting and the heavy pepperiness I was also waiting for; its truly the text book definition of a simple coiffer, and tonight that fits the bill perfectly. And since I bought it for $13.95 - I feel right at home opening this one up on a Thursday night and sipping it alone ... and just in case I finish the bottle - the 13% won't make a dent in my day tomorrow with a nasty hangover-headache. George Thorogood would be proud, "I drink alone, and when I drink alone I prefer to be by myself." Now my big choice for this evening: salmon or haddock? Think I'll take a few more sips and then decide. Cheers and bottoms up.

No comments: