Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Marietta Cellars 2007 Zinfandel - Sonoma County (California)

Tonight I combined two of my favourite things: baby back ribs and Zinfandel, to me it's like the Reese peanut butter cups motto "two great tastes that taste get together". The ribs were very good but the wine left a little something to be desired. I am usually a fan of Marietta's stuff - I love their easy drinking Lot series, which have no vintage year just the number of times they have created the blend (ie: Lot 43 or Lot 44). The colour was inky reddish-black, a good sign for this Zin. Smells were primarily plum, chocolate and cherry driven; but the taste did not share in the fruit bonanza of the nose. First thing to hit the tongue was heat, alcohol heat (15.2%), next was a very woodsy and peppery mid-palate, still with lots of heat. The finish was gritty and short with a hollowness right in the middle of the tongue, no matter how many sips you took and how you sloshed it in your mouth, that part could not absorb flavour. Too bad, I was looking forward to this one for the past few days and I feel a little let down. Oh, well ... tomorrow it looks like its going to be something Spanish.

No comments: