Monday, November 9, 2009

Robert Mondavi 2005 Private Selection Vinetta (California)

What other "boss" is going to let you drink on the job ... I would, but that's probably why I'm not in management. On the nights of my Grape Challenges, I usually bring in a pre-wine for my "staff" to enjoy. I usually pick something I know they haven't tried like a wine purchased in the U.S. (and not available here) or something that is only available through private order. Tonight, on the first night of my Gewurztraminer Challenge, I opted for this Robert Mondavi meritage (68% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14% Merlot, 11% Petit Verdot, 5% Malbec and 2% Cabernet Franc), the first meritage made at the house of Mondavi (hard to believe), and currently only available stateside. Someone pointed out that the nose was much sweeter than the taste, and sure enough they were right. The nose was sweet fruited with black raspberry, cherry and black currants. But the nose deceived when it came to the taste, which was not only dry, but had flavours not hinted at through the nose: black raspberry and cherry for sure, but there was a prominent hit of smoky licorice that carried right through to the end.

No comments: