Monday, November 23, 2009

Venedos Errazuriz Ovalle 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon (Chile)

This is one of those bottles that I was scared of. I was not worried about the age of the wine or that it looked funny in the bottle, nope - I share a case of this wine with a friend and she had just informed me that the last two remaining bottles she had were both bad: oxidized due to the plastic cork closure. So I peeled the capsule off with a little trepidation. To my shock under the capsule was a natural cork, I have never been so happy to see a cork in my life. I almost jumped off the table I was sitting on and did a little jig - lucky for the people around me I didn't. As for the wine, it was kind of one dimensional with a minty-raspberry nose and a palate that followed suit, hints of black fruit did begin to emerge with a little aeration but the mintyness seemed almost overwhelming at times.

No comments: