Sunday, April 14, 2013

Lazy Sunday - One White / One Red both Pinot Family Members (Ontario / Oregon)

The sun is shining for the first time in awhile this Sunday ... so we decided to watch it from the comfort of our den (after all it was still just 5 degrees out), put on the new Louis CK special ("Oh My God" - very funny) and watch a bunch of other things, while trying to decide what we should have for dinner on our new wheat-free diet (sorry, lifestyle change).  We came up with some kind of pizza concoction made with cauliflower - my wife asked, "what happens if it doesn't taste good?" - I responded, "well, we've always got wine."  And with that we each opened a bottle.  She, a bottle of Huff Estates 2011 Pinot Gris and me, a bottle of Maysara Winery 3o Pinot Noir from Oregon (read: Three Degrees).  I have recently reviewed the Huff so it's all linked up, but this is my first experience with Maysara wine.  Turns out it is an organic/biodynamic winery out of Oregon and for the most part when I see a US winery playing with the biodynamic I get a little queasy ... I just don't think they have it quite down pat yet ... it's just too new to them.  Anyway, I did not know this about the wine before I sipped at it, I found the wine incredibly earthy with hints of vegetation that were not all together pleasant.  That's when I inspected the bottle and thought I would try to give it the benefit of the doubt.  Next up on the nose and palate was a mushroom-iness ... after about 45 minutes to an hour I began to find some fruit.  First came cranberry then a little later some sour cherry came by for a stay ... and thankfully the earthy, mushroom and vegetation took a back seat.   Was this my favvourite Pinot ever ... not really ... but it did come across better in an hour than it did from the start.  As for the pizza, not bad at all.


No comments: