Sunday, December 27, 2009

Charles Shaw 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon (California)

Well I finally made it. Yup, I found my way to a Trader Joe's, home of Two-Buck-Chuck. I would have to say that Joe's has a pretty good wine section for a small store (at least the one I was in was small) yet the sign on the wall proclaimed over 60 wines under $10, or was that 90, heck I was so excited to be in the joint I can barely remember. Anyway, I picked up a bottle of this and a bottle of that while I was there, and you know I just had to grab a bottle of Chucky. They had two reds (Cab and Syrah) and two whites (Sauv Blanc and Chardonnay) and so I went with the wine that has defined California, Cabernet Sauvignon. We had it on Cheap Chicken night (Sunday), while relaxing and watching the Lethal Weapon series (all 4 movies in one day). Actually the chicken wasn't cheap, but it was tasty (from a place called the Chicken Shack), Erica picked the chicken place and I picked the wine. I think on this night Erica won, the chicken was much better than the wine, with or without the food. The smell was very grapey, Welch's style grapey; the flavours were very much the same, almost sweet. The wine was nothing great, it was drinkable with dinner, but then again so would have been a glass of grape juice. But what can I really expect from a $3 wine (here in Michigan it costs three bucks, $2.99). In truth, I have tried Chuck's wine before, but this is the first bottle I have ever purchased myself, I find the wine to be hit and miss - it's kinda like those Bits n Bites commercials, next bottle whole new ball game.

No comments: