Friday, December 4, 2009

Corte Zovo 2003 Sa' Solin Ripasso Valpolicella (Italy)

Valpolicella Ripasso is one of my favourite styles of wine ... for those of you who do not know what a Ripasso is I'll make this explanation as brief, but as informative, as I can: it is a wine that sits in between the fruitiness of Valpolicella and the heft of an Amarone, that's because a winery will take the skins from the Amarone wine (after the wine has been made) and "re-pass" it with some Valpolicella, causing a refermentation, pushing the alcohol up by a percentage and the flavour profile to be a little more robust. If you still don't get it all I can say is: that's what Wikipedia is for - or better yet, rush out to your nearest liquor store and request a good bottle, it usually runs about 20 bucks. Here's a bottle I bought for $15.95 back in 2007. The reason I picked it out was not anything too complicated, I saw the bright yellow capsule and decided that was the wine to have. The smells emanating from the glass are those of dried fruit and dark chocolate; in the mouth there's prunes, plums, more dried fruit, a hint of anise and yes, some bittersweet chocolate. I also found the acidity to be quite high. This wine has aged quite nicely and was great for sipping on.

No comments: