Sunday, December 6, 2009

Zonin 2000 Montepulciano D'Abruzzo (Italy)

So, after sipping on one of the more unique Ontario wines for most of the afternoon (the review of which will appear in my newsletter this coming Thursday as a "Something Special" selection), I decide it was time for something red. I went way back into my cellar (which is organized by year) and pulled out this Montepulciano D'Abruzzo. The nose smelled of leather and dried figs, while the palate also showed much leather (but the smooth and supple kind) and dried raspberry notes. I really enjoyed this wine and appreciated it for its age and how well it was drinking. My mother, who partook in this bottle with me this evening, was not a fan; she could not get past the leatheryness of the nose or the palate. She asked me if I would have enjoyed the wine if it were younger and still had these characteristic; I admitted to her that no I would not have enjoyed this wine if I knew it were younger because I would be expecting a heck of a lot more fruit. But because this wine is almost 10 years old it really is quite lovely for its age. Its all relative my friend, all relative.

No comments: