Friday, November 12, 2010

The Winery of Good Hope 2009 Pinot Noir (South Africa)

Got home from hosting an Israeli wine tasting for the Canadian Friends of Israel Elwyn - had a great time and tried some good Israeli wine (though very expensive stuff) ... at this hour I needed something to take the adrenaline edge off before climbing into bed.  Looking around I see I have a bottle of this Pinot Noir from South Africa just waiting for me to crack the cap.  I think that is what I love most about screwcap wines, the ease of opening them when you are tired and not in the mood for fiddling with the corkscrew.  This is not like any Pinot Noir I have ever tasted.  There's raspberry and cherry notes on the nose with hints of graphite; palate is fruit forward with an alcohol backbone and a lively bite of acid and spice.  This wine hit the spot and was easy sipping ... very new world in style.  And with a finish of drunken raspberries.  I think the South African wine society wants me to host a dinner, I've never been a true fan of South African wines but with a wine like this I could find myself turning in that direction - if they could just get some consistency I could get behind them.

No comments: