Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Julian Chivite 2004 Gran Feudo Reserva (Spain)

For those of you who are part of the Facebook generation you know it is my birthday today - I find myself in Toronto because I have some work and a couple of tastings to attend.  So while in Toronto I find myself at mom and dad's place for a couple of evenings.  Mom "found" a bottle of Gran Feudo Reserva in the basement amongst her wines, and she was amazed to still have a 2004 in her collection thus she decided that this is the wine we should celebrate my birthday with: a blend of Tempranillo, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot from the Navarra region of Spain.  Upon opening the wine was very black earth aromaed with hints of spice.  As it opened fruit began to waft up into the nose, smells of black raspberry, cassis and lots of pepper (achoo!).  The palate was smooth with very little in the way of tannins but there was plenty of pepper, a bit of earth and ... the wine was gone long better the fruit showed up on the palate.  Very pleasant and really enjoyable, super smooth and easy drinking, but you have to like pepper.

No comments: