Sunday, December 14, 2008

Bogle Vineyards 2004 Phantom (California)

Tonight I was dying for something plumy, jammy and big. I had just written an article about the Italian tasting I attended and had Valpolicella Ripasso on the brain - so why didn't I chose a Ripasso - good question. Instead, I picked up this bottle of Bogle Phantom, a blend of Petite Sirah, Old Vines Zinfandel and Old Vines Mourvedre - I thought it would be plummier and jammier than it was, although it was definitely big (14.8%). On the nose there was some white pepper and black fruit with a little pencil lead in the background. The white pepper continued in the mouth along with some form of black fruit, but t was hard to define, the pepper was just too dominant. Did I like this wine? Sure I liked it, but it was not what I wanted this evening ... next time I'll just listen to my inner voice.

No comments: