Friday, December 26, 2008

Las Rocas de San Alejandro 2005 Vinas Viejas Garnacha (Spain)

After my visit with Dave I ended up with a number of interesting wines to try. One was this old vines Garnacha from Spain. No mention as to how old the “old vines” are, but then again there is no real worldwide definition or wine law that states what old vines means constitutes; you either take the word of the label or of the wine merchant who is selling it to you. I paid an extra 5 bucks for the pleasure of drinking this old vines wine over the regular vines … plus it was an extra year older. This truly was a delicious wine with blackberry, raspberry, chocolate and spice greeting me on the nose; black berry, cassis, cinnamon, spice and smooth dark chocolate on the palate. The tannins are there, but they are so well integrated into the wine that it takes several sips before they are noticed. I’d give this one 5-7 years of lie down time, but it’s a pleasure to drink now.

No comments: