Thursday, April 22, 2010

Ravenswood 2003 Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon (California)

After a delicious night in Bordeaux last night I was all ready to go back, but something happened on the way to the wine cellar ... I changed my mind.  I was picking through a box of wines I had been lying down for some extended aging and came across this 2003 Cab from Ravenswood in California (there was also a Zinfandel from the same producer - I'm looking forward to that in the coming weeks).  Immediately I thought it would be a good wine to have, and out from the box it came.  The nose was hard to get a gauge on at first, but with a little coaxing there was blackberry, white pepper and dark chocolate; over the coarse of an hour the aromas because more pronounced and sweet blackberry emerged along with the other smells grabbing the olfactories more firmly.  The palate also changed.  It started off with blackberry and cocoa flavours with a little spice, but as the wine opened  the fruit became juicy and red oriented with hints of chocolate, then on the mid palate the chocolate turned to cocoa and that took me through to the long finish.  Good choice to visit California tonight, tomorrow I have a feeling I'll be visiting Chile.

No comments: