Sunday, January 9, 2011

La Posta 2008 Pizzella Family Vineyard Malbec (Argentina)

I tasted this wine for the first time in early December 2010 and was immediately attracted to it so I put it on my must list of wines to buy for the new year.  When it hit LCBO shelves in early January 2011 I was eager to try it again to see if I had been right the previous month, or was I just happy to be finished with mass wine tasting for the year (every second Friday 120+ wines).  I'm happy to report this wine delivered sip after sip, mouthful after mouthful, with delicious pleasant ever-changing flavours and an array of aromas.  The nose started blackberry with sweet black licorice and hints of strawberry.  As it opened in the glass the dark fruit turned red in the form of a red berry bowl of raspberry and strawberry.  The palate had the same kind of reaction to aeration, it started out dark but the mid-palate was really juicy and with an hour in the glass raspberry started to show up in greater quantity.  The finish kept intriguing me as it developed throughout the course of the evening finishing up with smoky-cocoa and cassis notes.  This wine will still be wonderful in a few years and I have laid some down to prove it.  I suggest doing the same while there is still some in the market (Ontario).

No comments: