Sunday, January 23, 2011

Two Chileans in a "Dirty Glass" (Chile)

People come and people go at our house and when friends come over I serve wine in good crystal ... but tonight it was a different story.  Many years ago I acquired pottery wine goblets in a variety of colours (black, blue, green and white), I rarely use these cups, instead employing my Schott Zwiesel stemware for both everyday and special occasions.  But tonight, it was not about really tasting the wines.  One friend had a rough and traumatic day with a near death experience attached, so getting the alcohol to the bloodstream was more important than the vessel delivering it.  Out came the goblets and in them went big Chilean wines:  the full bodied and fruity Tamaya Merlot-Cabernet Sauvignon-Syrah (2005) blend, and the spicy, pepper driven, dark fruited 2007 Korta Syrah (not together obviously, I hadn't completely lost my sense of reason, but in that order) - both worked well in the goblets, but with each at or bove 14% alcohol they also managed to calm some jangled nerves.

No comments: