Friday, March 26, 2010

Farnese 2008 Negroamaro (Italy)

It has been a few days since I have been able to enjoy a glass of wine at home.  The last few nights I have found myself out at a variety of events and by the time I got home it was too late to crack (or pop) something open.  The worst part is that I was out at events that I couldn't just sit back and enjoy a glass of wine.  That said, tonight I twisted the top on this Negroamaro from Italy (made in the Puglia region - the heel of the boot).  Negroamaro actually means black and bitter, but this wine is so far from that description you'll be shocked at the black-and-bitter moniker.  This wine is a real fruity expression of this grape, the nose is blackberry and smells almost sweet and juicy.  The palate is blackberry juicy with some cassis, and just a hint of the bitterness this grape is known for on the finish - but it does not detract from the wine's juiciness one bit ... it fact keeps it from being too jammy.  Black?  Yes. Bitter?  No way.  Delicious? You bet.

No comments: