Sunday, March 14, 2010

Furst Lowenstein 2005 Hallgartner Schonhell Riesling Kabinett (Germany)

I'm currently in Michigan and enjoying a bottle of Riesling I hauled over the border from home (Ontario).  It's been sitting in the fridge here for the entire week I was away in Florida (I was planning to have it before leaving, but never got around to it); so as you can imagine it was a little on the cold side.  That did not stop it from being a very good wine, and the nice part is that it warmed up to a tasty temperature.  The nose was muted, because of the chill, but as it warmed it showed green apple, lemon drop and mac apple skin. The palate was extremely appealing right from the very first sip: tangerine, hint of limeade along with some honey and floral notes - sweet yet tart - with a nice long finish.  This was a perfect wine to let age as it shows little sign that it's 5 years old, so I am glad I did hold it; if I am not mistaken I have more in the cellar ... lucky me.


No comments: