Thursday, August 12, 2010

E. Guigal 2005 Cotes du Rhone (France)

Got home tonight and felt like some E ... that would be Etienne Guigal (for those thinking I was getting into some designer drug), better known E. Guigal.  I was working in a cellar all day and the guy had quite a few bottles from Monsieur Guigal, so I figured it was only fair that I sample something I have from this Rhone based house. The last bottle of 2005 I had was fairly lean, I think it was a bad bottle because I don't remember it being that lean - and very disappointing ... the good news is that I remember it like I had it tonight.  The nose is loaded with spice, pepper and black fruit.  Palate follows suit, and this wine has fantastic acidity that would make this a perfect pairing with something protein-based (say, steak); but alas, it is too late in the evening to fire up the BBQ - in fact, the BBQ isn't even built yet - that's a weekend project at the new house this Saturday (you'll find me cursing in the garage) - for now, all I can do is sip and enjoy, and dream of a hunk of beef and taste that white pepper and spicy finish ...

Check out the OntarioWineReview.com website ...
catch up with the latest news and reviews from Ontario
sign-up for the free biweekly newsletter and much more.

No comments: