Tuesday, January 5, 2010

R Wines 2008 Permutations Pinot Noir (Australia)

If you've haven't caught any of my Drinking with Dave posts you're missing out on some really good wines. Dave is my 'wine guy' when I am in Michigan, he's the guy to talk to when you visit Champane Wine Cellars in Warren, Michigan. My last visit with Dave was on December 28th, 2009. After the usual pleasantries were exchanged I asked him the question I always do, "What's got you excited right now?" In other words, what's good that doesn't cost an arm an a leg? He pointed me in the direction of a French "petite Bordeaux", a Spanish Tempranillo and this Australia Pinot Noir. As we talked about the wines Dave claimed he was not able to identify this one as a Pinot (he tasted it blind). I'll admit to wondering what Dave was smoking when I first put the wine to my nose, positive I could smell the tell-tale signs (earth) of Pinot Noir; but then I allowed the wine to open up a bit and that earthiness disappeared leaving behind a big, sweet raspberry and black cherry note, ripe with red fruit and just a hint of sweet vanillin. The palate was also big lots of lush, plush red fruit with little to get in the way of its tasty enjoyment. If oak was used it was hard to tell, the wine really filled the mouth with fresh red fruit flavour. This was a great sipping wine that went down smooth and easy. What an absoulte gem. I know I can always could on Dave to point me in the right direction. Now if we could just that dinner we keep taling about planned.

No comments: