Thursday, January 21, 2010

Vina Cobos 2009 Felino Chardonnay (Argentina)

Vina Cobos is the Argentinean baby of California winemaker and consultant Paul Hobbs ... the wines he makes in California are well out of my price range, but the wines he makes in Argentina are right in my wheelhouse, and tasty too. This weekend the LCBO (in Ontario) is releasing 3 wines from Vina Cobos' Felino line, a Cabernet Sauvignon, a Malbec and this Chardonnay. The nose is typical of Chardonnay with vanilla, apple and sweet butterscotch, very appealing. The palate is at first woody and spicy, then as the palate gets used to it the tongue begins to look for other things like vanilla, almond, hints of apple and a smoky note on the finish. A very nice sipping wine that had a whopping 14.7% alcohol kick; there isn't any wonder I felt a little light headed by my third glass - and the big pull from my first glass probably didn't help either. Cheers.

No comments: